Cuil Moss Cottage Green Mission
Our aim with Cuil Moss Cottage is to create a high quality sustainable self-catering holiday destination while minimising the impact of our business activities on the environment.
Our continuing ethos relies upon the sensitive conservation and enhancement of Cuil Moss cottage and its surrounding environment. This wonderful natural location offers space to breathe, and a place for restoration and relaxation. The development of our on-going Green Tourism Business strategy will reduce our carbon footprint. We ask our guests to assist us by adopting considerate use of energy during their stay as we seek to preserve this special place for the enjoyment of future generations.
We try to support the local economy, benefit the local community, reduce congestion and pollution and signpost our guests to nearby “green” sources where, for example, they can purchase and enjoy the most natural of Scottish food. We believe that your stay with us will be much improved by these measures. We are always happy to listen to your ideas as to how we can improve our green credentials.
As a symbol of our commitment to caring for the Environment further to enhance our customer care, we are members of the Green Tourism Business Scheme and we have been awarded the GOLD rating. We try our very best to meet their very exacting criteria. If you are not already familiar with their green oval logo, please do look out for it. Tourism businesses keen to support a more sustainable tourism are increasingly signing up to this Scheme. And to be eligible, businesses also need to demonstrate quality and belong to a Quality Assurance Scheme.
Whilst you are here we know you will want to explore a lot of the fascinating attractions so accessible from here, but can we just “plant” an idea or two before you finalise your plans. Perhaps leave the car at home one day and explore the Ardgour Hills? Or plan a walk or cycle ride nearby?
What We Do
Our aim is to reach the highest standard of Green Tourism. We are continually evolving to meet those aims.
- We recycle as many items as we can , we have bins for the following recyclable materials on site Glass, paper, tin, plastic.
- We try to compost all peelings and non-cooked food waste we provide a caddy in the cottage.
- We use earth friendly cleaning products and only provide eco and locally sourced toiletries.
- We discourage the use of plastic bags or at least the recycling of plastic bags.
- We encourage the use of public transport and the bicycle – we provide bus timetables and public transport information.
- We supply information on bike hire and good safe bike storage at the cottage.
- We fit only energy saving light bulbs. Have achieved an EXCLELLENT co2 rating.
- The cottage is fully insulated and double glazed, and meets the latest standards for insulation.
- We provide a no smoking environment.
- We encourage use of local suppliers – within the cottage we supply sustainable venison and cheese.
- Our appliances, washing machines, fridges, freezers, hoovers, dishwashers, ovens etc. are nearly all A and A+ rated.
- The cottage is heated with a sustainable air source heat pump.
- Cottage offers maps and guides, as well as a set of binoculars and identification books on wildlife, birds, flora and fauna.